How to configure custom file extension to be handled by the asp.net ISAPI module
In IIS (run ‘inetmgr’)
- Locate the website (or virtual directory, which configured as a web application) you want to configure custom file extensions to be secured.
- Right click and find the ‘Virtual Directory’ tab under properties
- In ‘Virtual Directory’ tab click configuration
- Add extension (ex: .xml) and browse aspnet_isapi.dll from the usual location (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727). If you can’t find the exact directory perform a search and locate it.
- Uncheck ‘check that file exist’ checkbox just in case of request to a non existing file. then press ok
- If it is local it is recommend to do a IIS reset (run ‘iisreset’) if not if it is the production server or UAT, recycle the application pool